Wednesday 20 February 2019

Green Meat

Green meat used to be an all time favourite with all at home, a few years ago. In fact, this was the first recipe I learnt from my mum-in-law after my marriage. During the initial days, following my marriage, I cooked this dish often as it was one of the few recipes I knew and it was easy to make, didn't require advance planning and was hassle free. Gradually as I learnt more recipes, this beef curry was relegated to a few times a year. Of course this recipe brings back many fond memories of my initial days in the kitchen, where I struggled with many things that come so easily to me now. Looking back to those days, I never thought I could cook as well as I do now. It only goes to show, practise literally can positively impact any skill including cooking.

Recipe credit: Ms Rozita Coutinho

The spice mix used in this recipe is home made and the recipe can also be found here.

Ingredients:
  1. Beef  - 1/2 kg
  2. Onions (medium) - 1 no (sliced finely)
  3. Ginger paste - 1/2 tbsp
  4. Garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
  5. Home made spice mix (mentioned above) - 1/2 tbsp
  6. Green chillies - 2 nos (slit)
  7. Tomatoes (medium) - 1 no(finely chopped)
  8. Vinegar - 1 tbsp
  9. Coriander leaves - few sprigs finely chopped
  10. Oil and salt - as needed
  11. Potato (large) - 1 no, cubed
Method:
  1. Wash and cut the meat into small cubes. Apply salt and keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan, fry sliced onions till brown. Add ginger garlic paste, fry well.
  3. Add meat pieces, fry on high heat till the water evaporates.
  4. Add 1tbsp of the home made spice mix, chopped tomatoes and fry well.
  5. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Cook on slow flame till meat is half-cooked.
  6. Add the potatoes and cook till both potatoes and meat are cooked.
  7. Add two slit chillies, vinegar and simmer for two mins.
  8. Adjust the consistency and check for salt. The gravy shouldn't be too runny. 
  9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. (Optional)
Serve with pulao or hot steamed rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment