Wednesday 31 May 2017

Prawns and Bimbli with coconut

In my old house I had a lovely patch of garden. I had a drumstick tree, two calamansi plants, a lovely bimbli plant and a few flowering plants.  The bimbli plant was in full bloom, when I first moved in. They were so many fruits on the plant and many of them were just falling off and getting wasted. So I was trying to think of recipes where bimblis were used so I could  put mine to good use.

I had eaten raw bimblis dipped in salt and chilly powder as a kid, but I couldn't get myself to eat it like that again. I could use a few to in daal, or in the red curry. These are sour fruits and are used as souring agents mostly. And then Alex thought of the prawns and bimbli sukhem his mum makes. Now it may seem like a strange combination, but all I can say is it works well. A few what's app messages later, this dish was ready and devoured in no time. Since I had access to bimblis so easily, this dish was regularly on our menu. I made this dish dryish with no water and it went very well with chappatis. So here's the recipe for you.

Recipe credit: Mrs Rozita Coutinho

Ingredients:
  1. Prawns - 1/2 cup
  2. Bimbli - 1 cup
  3. Onions - 1/2 cup
  4. Coconut - 1/2 cup
  5. Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
  6. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  7. Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
  8. Salt as required
  9. Oil as required
Method:
  1. Cut the bimblis in proportion to the size of the prawns. Add a little salt, mix and keep aside.
  2. In a pan, heat little oil, add the prawns and dehydrate them completely on high heat. Keep aside.
  3. In the same pan, heat oil, add finely chopped onions and fry till they are soft and pink.
  4. Add all the powdered spices and mix well.
  5. Add the salted bimblis, mix well and let it cook for about two minutes.
  6. Add the coconut, mix well, and cook for a further two to three minutes.
  7. Lastly add prawns, mix well and cook till the prawns are done.
  8. Check for salt and add if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment