Wednesday 24 May 2017

Plain red coconut curry - Bachelor curry

Goan and Mangalorean fish curries are famous and very popular amongst foodies. Though I don't eat a lot of fish, I grew up in a house where fish curry and rice was a staple diet. My mum refused to cook separately for me, this was my mother's idea of tough love. :-) I learnt to eat the rice and curry without touching the fish. A strange but workable solution for all. Till date I enjoy fish curry and rice, minus the fish.

After I met Alex, I learnt to cook the plain red coconut curry from his dad. I was so happy to discover a curry that was so close to a fish curry, but minus the fish, unheard of in my mum's house. This curry uses all the same spices and instead of fish, you add a stock cube for the flavor. It is also known as the bachelor curry in Mangaloren cuisine. For picky fish eaters like me who love the coconut curry and prefer fried fish to curry fish, this is a super combo. Add a simple vegetable like cabbage or beans foogath, on the menu and you have a wholesome and delicious meal.

You can find more curry recipes under the label - Curry.

Recipe credit : Mr. Cyril Coutinho

Ingredients:
  1. Onion (small) - 1 no
  2. Tomato (small) - 1 no
  3. Stock cube - 3 nos (Half inch cube)
For the masala (ground paste of spices):
  1. Coconut - 200 grams
  2. Kashmiri red chillies - 7 nos
  3. Garlic - 7 cloves
  4. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  5. Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
  6. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  7. Peppercorn - 1/2 tsp
  8. Onion (small) - 1 nos
  9. Tamarind - a marble sized ball 
Method:
  1. Slice the onion and tomato. Add salt to the onion and mix and keep aside.
  2. Grind to a fine paste all ingredients mentioned under, for the masala. Add water as needed while grinding.
  3. In a pan, place the salted onion, sliced tomato and the masala, bring this to a boil. Add about two cups of water, and cook on low flame for about 25 to 30 mins.
  4. Add the stock cube five minutes before putting off the stove.
  5. You may add drumsticks, or okra for additional flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment