Wednesday 9 August 2017

Pork Solantulem

Pork is a personal favorite of mine. I cook Pork bafath quite regularly, special occasions call for sorpotel, and I prepare pork solantulem when I'm in a hurry and don't have the time and patience to cook an elaborate dish. This is one of the easiest, fuss free pork recipes I know. This is a Goan dish, however, surprisingly I never heard of it till I got married. I have lived in Goa for a few years and have visited it quite often after I moved back to Mumbai. I have never seen this dish on any menu in any restaurant, nor have I heard any locals mention it ever. I think the sorpotel, vindaloo and choris take all the limelight and this humble recipe never made it to the stage.

But my mum-in-law makes this preparation once in a while and I learned it from her many years ago. This dish is not spicy and I guess that's one of the reasons why it's not a party favorite. But I like this dish, not only 'cos of how easy it is to pull it together but 'cos it has very simple flavors. And of course 'cos it is David's favorite.

The original recipe has a handful of ingredients, viz; solam (kokum), garlic, cumin, salt and turmeric. But I add a few more spices to suit my palate. The star of this recipe is of course solam or kokum, which is absolutely essential, along with garlic and cumin. The other spices can be added or given a miss depending on convenience.

Recipe credit: Ms.Rosita Coutinho

Ingredients:
  1. Pork - 1 kg
  2. Cumin - 1 tbsp
  3. Garlic - 8 fat cloves
  4. Solam (Kokum) - 12 pieces
  5. Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
  6. Broken red chilies - 4 nos
  7. Onion - 1 large
  8. Cinnamon - 2 inch sticks
  9. Cloves - 8 nos
  10. Peppercorns - 1 tsp
  11. Bay leaves - 2 nos
  12. Salt - as required
Method:
  1. Add all the ingredients in a deep pan and keep on the stove on high flame. When it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer for about twenty minutes or till the pork is done.
  2. Stir occasionally to ensure it does not stick to the bottom.
  3. Check for taste.
  4. Any pork preparation, according to me tastes better after it has rested for a little while. At least one hour of rest will help the meat absorb all the spices and salt.
Click on the recipe names for more delectable pork recipes on this blog.
  1. Pork bafath/ bafad
  2. Pork roast - Goan style
  3. Pork adobo
  4. Pork chops - Oriental style

No comments:

Post a Comment