Wednesday 12 July 2017

Tinned Tuna Cutlets

I am not a fish eater. Many are surprised considering that I hail from the coastal Mangalore, famous for its delicious fish preparations. My family like true Mangis (Mangloreans) loves fish, specially in curries. In fact growing up, I had a tough time during meals since fish curry rice was a staple diet on week days. My mother refused to cook separately for me and I had to make do with rice and curry minus the fish or curd and rice.

Lucky for me the Goan I married isn't too fond of fish either. :-)

A big part of what I am in the kitchen today is thanks to my mother-in-law. She has taught me many things, not only inside the kitchen but also outside it. She taught me that fish need not necessarily be eaten in curries. One could make yummy cutlets too. Over the years I have tried different permutations and combinations of ingredients, and finally perfected the cutlets. And that's what I share with you today. I am told one can replace tin fish with fresh tuna (kupa), or king fish (rawas). But I have never tried that.

Recipe credit : Ms.Rozita Coutinho

Ingredients:
  1. Tin fish in oil (tuna) - 180 grams
  2. Onion (small) - 1 no (chopped)
  3. Tomato (small) - 1 no (chopped)
  4. Green chilly - 1 no (chopped)
  5. Ginger - 1/2 tsp (grated)
  6. Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
  7. Bread slices - 1 or 2
  8. Oil - as required * (see notes)
  9. Bread crumbs - as required

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped onions, fry till they turn pink. Add the chopped tomato, ginger and chilly and continue sauteing till the mixture looks mushy.
  2. Add the tuna chunks, give it a good stir and break the chunks into smaller bits. Mix it well and take it off the stove. Put the mixture aside to cool.
  3. In the mean time, soak the bread slices in water and squeeze the water out. It will look like a ball of dough.
  4. Add the bread to the tuna mixture and mix the whole thing with your hand. Taste for salt.
  5. Make five to six balls and pat them to a flat patty, roll in breadcrumbs and shallow fry on each side till it changes colour and looks brown and done. 
  6. This takes about 5 - 7 minutes on a medium flame.
Notes:
  • I used oil from the tuna tin to fry the initial onion mixture. If I use two tins of fish I use the oil from the second tin to shallow fry the cutlets.
  • If your health conscious you can use tuna in brine or water. Or one tin in oil and one in water.
  • You may add chopped coriander leaves once the mixture has cooled down. This adds an excellent flavour to the cutlets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment